Minneapolis Institute of Art
The MIA is located about six blocks from downtown Minneapolis, in an historic residential neighborhood flanked by a commercial district (“Eat Street”) that’s renowned for its eclectic restaurants and bars. The museum is composed of three buildings: a 1915 Neoclassical building by McKim, Mead & White; a 1970s Modernist addition by Kenzo Tange; and a 2006 wing by Michael Graves & Associates. It shares a campus with the Minneapolis College of Art and Design and the Children’s Theatre Company, drawing visitors for a wide range of arts opportunities.
Highlights of the MIA’s permanent collection include European masterworks by Rembrandt, Poussin, and van Gogh; modern and contemporary painting and sculpture by Picasso, Matisse, Mondrian, Stella, and Close; as well as internationally significant collections of prints and drawings, decorative arts, Modernist design, photographs, textiles, and Asian, African, and Native American art.
General admission is always free. Some special exhibitions have a nominal admission fee.