Currier Museum of Art
The Currier Museum of Art in Manchester, New Hampshire, was established in 1915 as the Currier Gallery of Art thanks to an endowment from Hannah Currier and her husband and former New Hampshire Governor Moody Currier. It opened in 1929 in an Italian palazzo-style building designed by Tilton and Githens of New York. Their director was Maud Briggs, one of the first women museum administrators in America. The house is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In the late 1930s, the Currier Art Center for studio art classes was established. 1989 brought new galleries by Hardy Holzman Pfeifer, and in 2008, a new atrium and exhibition galleries designed by Ann Beha were completed. In addition, the museum owns two 1950s Frank Lloyd Wright houses, the Zimmerman House and the Kalil House (a Usonian Automatic), both may be seen through guided tours.
The Currier’s permanent collection of over 15,000 works includes artists Picasso, Matisse, Monet, O’Keeffe, Calder, John Singer Sargent, Andrew Wyeth, along with Renaissance and contemporary artists.
150 Ash Street
Manchester, New Hampshire